The goals of service learning at Mount Tamalpais School are to introduce students to various ways of giving, to provide leadership opportunities within the classroom and/or school, to offer hands-on activities that have measurable impact, and to experience multiple touch points with our broader community.
Our sixth-eighth grade students are expected to complete a set number of service learning hours each year as part of their middle school experience at MTS. Throughout the year, the Service Learning Committee offers a community building service day per trimester on a weekend, such as the volunteering at the SF-Marin Food Bank, trail work, or beach clean-up.
During conference days at MTS, one of the activities we offer for students on campus is to participate in onsite service learning such as making sack lunches for clients of St. Vincent de Paul, making no-sew blankets for a local women’s shelter, crafting dog toys for the Marin Humane Society, and assembling troop care packages.
- Kindergarten - Campus Kindness
- First Grade - Socktober
- Second Grade - Marin Food Bank
- 3rd Grade - Crayola ColorCycle
- Fourth Grade: Warm Coat Drive
- Fifth Grade: Marin Humane Society
- Sixth Grade: Redwood Pen Pals
- Seventh Grade: Troops Candy Drive & Holiday Cards
- Eighth Grade: Service Learning Project of Choice