Employment at MTS
At MTS we seek educators who share a commitment to "knowledge and goodness" and have experience creating an "academically inspiring and nurturing environment." Engaged in the classroom, all of our teachers also take an active role in school life outside of the classroom. As a community of adults, we are committed to professional excellence. The school provides ample opportunities and funds for professional growth.
To apply for any of the following positions, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
MTS is an equal opportunity employer.
Mount Tamalpais School (MTS), a K-8 independent school serving up to 240 students in Mill Valley, California is looking for our first Communications Associate. This employee will have the opportunity to have a transformative impact on our school communications. The Communications Associate will help MTS, known as a “hidden gem,” no longer be so hidden.
Our school is guided by an inspiring mission; we are called to develop “knowledge and goodness” in our students. The Communications Associate will be asked to capture our mission in action through the written word, photography, and video and share these stories on multiple platforms for multiple constituents. Furthermore, our 2017-18 Foundations of Excellence Plan, coupled with the suggestion from our most recent accreditation to communicate more to all of our constituents will guide the Communication Associate's efforts. The Communications Associate’s work is integral to our future growth and will be regularly featured on our website, social media accounts, parent newsletters, and print materials.
First and foremost the Communications Associate must be a strong writer and storyteller. Skilled at writing prose, both short and long form, the Communications Associate will publish to the community several times per week. They will need to be confident photographers and also able to capture and edit short film clips to support a story. The Communications Associate must be modern media savvy familiar with push email campaigns and social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram. An appreciation for and skill with writing and producing print material will also be important.
The Communications Associate should be a strategic thinker, making sure that the stories published reflect all of our long-term and short-term communication pillars. Finally, they must be a relationship builder. To be successful they must forge connections with classroom teachers to be aware of the great work that goes on each day. Working in a K-8 school setting, the Communications Associate will need enjoy interacting with children in an authentic way.
- Initiates and executes communications which connect the school to internal and external constituents and enhances the public perception including:
- MTS Facebook and Instagram accounts
- School website
- Weekly parent e-update
- Monthly parent e-newsletter
- Semi-annual applicant, alumni, and grandparent e-newsletter
- Remains up-to-date on social media and communications trends. Makes recommendations to Director of Development and Director of Admissions about new communications tools.
- Solicits information from the faculty/staff to publicize school life and activities.
- Writes content, photographs, and films school life and events for a wide range of school communications. Collects stories and testimonials from current students as well as alumni/ae.
- Manages and updates content on school’s public-facing website.
- Keeps educated about the life of the school, frequently interfacing with all constituents.
- Supports the Director of Admissions and Director of Development with other marketing collateral.
- Supports the Director of Admissions and Director of Development with Admissions and Development events as needed.
Education and Experience:
- A BA or BS in a relevant field (English, Journalism, Communication).
- Experience in a not-for-profit and/or independent school environment highly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms. Professional communications experience preferred.
- Experience in graphic design, web-based marketing, website management and maintaining a web presence desired
- Proficiency with Adobe Design suite (InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) and some video production experience desired.
- Self-starter who works efficiently to attain goals
- Ability to work on multiple fronts and deal with frequent deadlines
- 10 month position (mid-August to mid-June)
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Optional: Include writing sample or sample digital communications work
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Mount Tamalpais School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MTS adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on race, color, creed, age, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnicity or national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, any protected military or veteran status, physical disability, or any other category protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.